Sunday, May 21, 2006

Why I Had Ten Loads Of Laundry This Weekend

No I am not exaggerating. Ten loads. TEN.

(And you all know how much I hate laundry.)

Why ten loads, you may ask? One word. Vomit.

Seems Quinn caught a nice little stomach bug (which is no surprise since he has been known to lick trash cans) and he spent from 8:30 pm Friday night until 8:30 am Saturday morning throwing up roughly every ten minutes. Poor little guy.

We had my in-laws over for dinner Friday night. My husband was putting the finishing touches on our beautiful entree while Quinn and I danced to the Ipod. Quinn was happy and smiling and dancing when out of nowhere he erupted like Mount Vesuvius. I think he was just as surprised as we were.

The rest of the evening was spent changing his clothes, bathing him, changing my clothes, wiping up vomit, changing his clothes, bathing him, changing my clothes,... you get the idea. We tried putting him in his bed on a layer of towels. Within five minutes -- vomit. We tried putting him on the couch on yet another layer of towels. Within two minutes -- vomit. Finally, we put him in the bath and took turns staying with him while the rest of us ate. He continued to vomit in the bath, though he quickly caught onto the idea of getting it all to go in a bowl ( Is it just me or does every house have a Throw Up Bowl?).

I knew at this point that it would be a VERY long night. While my in-laws and husband ate dessert, I held Quinn on the couch and watched Dora with him. I didn't mind, since I had pretty much lost my appetite at that point. Every five minutes or so, he would wretch and I would aim him for the bowl. Of course, I was always a few seconds too slow, so I continued to wipe vomit off of me, him and the floor until 2 am, when we got a three hour break from Pukefest 2006. Pukefest resumed at 5 a.m., then finally ended at 8:30 a.m., and let me tell you it went out with a bang. Little Q managed to throw up at the TOP of the stairs. Over the bannister. Quite a waterfall. Bravo, Q. Well done. What an exit!

The last two days have been spent on damage control, washing every smelly piece of clothing, every towel that we own, and every couch cushion cover. Yes, Whirlpool is earning its keep today.

5 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's awful! Poor Quinn! And poor you! I'm thinking of that funny scene in "Parenthood" with Steve Martin, have you seen it? If not, when this is all behind you, rent that movie. You'll know which scene I'm talking about when you see it. Hope Quinn is better, and noone is affected.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger BITE MY COOKIE said...

minus the fancy food, your weekend sounds like a regular day around here. i have three not one but THREE fancy car seats all covered in puke, each uncleanable to the extreme, but what am i going to do with $6million-worth of puke laden car seats?

oh! gotta go the washer just finished and the dryer has gone off. hope everyone is feeling better and that the smell is gone. sorry you had such a rough one.

 
At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my daughter was 15 months, she caught a stomach bug while we were staying at a B & B! The nice couple that ran the place wanted to do the resulting laundry (all sheets and blankets) and I insisted they show me to the washer so I could do it all myself before we checked out.

Good luck with the aftermath. Don't forget to add the bleach! : )

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

This sounds really familiar! Those stomach bugs certainly wreak havoc on your laundry pile.

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog the other day!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.sickbear.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker