Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mini-Hawk

Henry has taken to skateboarding. Here is how it went down:

The big kids in the neighborhood have skateboards. Ever since Henry learned to ride his bike without training wheels, he is ready to conquer the world. He kept trying to show off for those skateboarding big kids by doing bike jumps and screeching halts and such. They were not impressed, and so they ignored him. So Henry came to me and begged me for a skateboard.

I tried to convince him that he was not ready, that it would be too hard, too dangerous. He was unmoved. I then decided to take the laid-back-mom approach -- I figured that I would buy him the board, he would try it, decide it was too hard, and then we would put it away for a year or two. I went to Target, found a sweet ride with a black widow on it, and bought every body-pad imaginable to cover Henry with for his death ride. I knew it would take just one try on this new contraption for him to realize his mother's wisdom. But there was just one small glitch in my plan....

The kid can legitimately skateboard. Seriously. I was shocked. He is going down (small) ramps, doing trick turns, and impressing those big kids. The big kids even got out their tools and helped Henry adjust his wheels to turn better. Turns out that the skateboard is a Big Kid Magnet -- we can't go to a park without some 8 year-old coming up to Henry and helping him with his new hobby. Henry is VERY stoked.

******************************************

Allergy update:

After eliminating every food from my diet, I was able to conclude that my allergies are not linked to any particular food.

After two weeks of pill-popping, my allergy medicine seems to be kicking in. I still have ear pressure, but not ear pain.

After two weeks of wondering, I am still not sure if I am allergic to wine. This is because I cannot for the life of me go 48 hours without a glass of wine. But as long as my Singulair is working, I don't feel the need to eliminate wine. My children do, after all, need to SURVIVE the next 14 years or so.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, not sure where I found your blog, but I had to comment because this entry reminded me of a funny story.
Back when my brother had just started high school, he was hounding my mother to get him a skateboard, but she kept refusing, saying it was too dangerous. To placate him, my parents bought him a 10 speed bike from Sears, who assembled. Unfortunately, they didn't do too good a job assembling it, and the first time my brother was riding his new bike down a hill, the handlebars (with the brakes) came right off. He crashed into a fence or something and got pretty scraped up, but was otherwise ok. I just think it's funny that in trying to protect him from a "dangerous" skateboard, my brother ended up getting hurt worse! I say to your son, rock on!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's an awesome story Bob! Classic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker