Friday, April 21, 2006

Rice Rice Baby

I have stumped modern medicine.

For 6 months now, I have had out of control allergies. Stuffy nose, pressure in the ears, itchy eyes -- NONSTOP. I hate it.

I have gone to the doctor again and again, each time trying new medicines. Nothing has worked. Finally, a few days ago, I arrived at a full-blown sinus infection. Whoohooo!

So here is the deal. I am now on steroids (prednisone) and I am supposed to only eat rice and fruits/veggies for several days (just in case it is another food allergy. Obviously, mold and pollen are the likely culprits, but there might be a wheat allergy hiding in there, too. Good stuff.

Here is what I have eaten the last three days:

apples
bananas
oranges
orange juice
banana chips
avocado
dried peas
rice
rice
rice
rice
rice

I have never wanted a bowl of cereal or a freakin' bagel with cream cheese so badly in my life. But it gets worse, far, far worse...

I can't begin to eat any wheat, dairy, etc until my allergy clears. That way, I can start with a clean slate, add foods, and be able to pinpoint any problem food. The problem is that after three days I have yet to have an allergy-free day. I am still congested, and HUNGRY. Sooooo hungry. But here is the worst, the absolute WORST part. I have contiued to drink wine through all of this, never imagining that it might be the culprit. Then I just read last night that some people are allergic to alcohol, mostly because of the yeasts and molds involved in the fermenting process. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I am not a religious person by any means, but just to be safe, those of you who are please keep me in your prayers. Please add this to your nightly kneeling: "Dear (Higher Being That I Believe In), Please let Callie not be allergic to wine. She loves it oh so much, and her children have a much higher chance of living to see their teenage years if she can have an adult beverage in her hand while she listens to fights about who sits in which chair or who gets which toy. Amen"

The one funny thing about all of this is that most people gain weight when they get on steroids. The doctor told me to expect to gain at least a pound. The thing is, though, that I am losing weight instead. I mean, there is only so many bowls of rice that a girl can take, hungry or not.

Well, I am off to cook dinner. I assume that I don't need to tell you what I am cooking.

Cheers! Oh wait. Nevermind.

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Beckalicious said...

I don't think I could live without pasta. Allergies SUCK. I hope you figure out what it is, and whatever it is ISN'T any ingred in those carb-loaded goodies.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is HORRIBLE. I never totally understood allergies until I had a kid with a dairy one.

But alcohol? THAT. IS. WRONG.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband had a work colleague with severe allergies to typical things--pollen, mold, etc.

She takes medication but she also (on her doctor's advice) irrigates her sinuses every single day with warm water. After years and years of problems and treatments, this (combined with meds) has brought her consistent relief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker